CALL FOR PAPERS (ENGLISH)
Latin American and Latinx Cultural Heritage: A Horizontal Dialogue
June 26-29, 2019
The University of Texas at Austin
CLOSED AS OF FEBRUARY 15, 2019.
LLILAS Benson Latin American Studies and Collections and the University of Texas Libraries are proud to host the annual meeting of the Seminar on the Acquisition of Latin American Library Materials (SALALM), which will explore current and changing ideas and practices surrounding stewardship of cultural heritage in Latin American and Latinx contexts. The conference will engage in critical dialogues about cultural heritage from a horizontal perspective of shared agency and mutual understanding. Conference participants will participate in conversations that are paramount to the work of information professionals associated with area/international and ethnic studies, but that have taken on a new level of urgency in the context of greater engagement with local communities, high profile losses of cultural heritage, changing political climates across the globe (including Latin America and the United States), and renewed efforts by governments to control access to and/or transfer tangible cultural heritage from one locale to another.
We are seeking proposals for panels or panel presentations. Panels will include scholarly presentations related to the conference theme and may also include papers on practical issues of librarianship and archival management related to the topic.
Topics of discussion for panels and individual presentations may include, but shall not be limited to:
- Horizontal models of cultural heritage stewardship
- Best practices for at-risk materials, including human rights documentation and records of non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- Opportunities and challenges associated with virtual reunification
- Post-custodial archival praxis
- National patrimony and the role of government institutions in the preservation of cultural heritage
- Open Access, as both a movement and a practice, associated with the preservation of cultural heritage
- Teaching with cultural heritage materials
- Rethinking metadata: developing culturally aware descriptive practices
- Unique opportunities and challenges associated with cultural heritage of diasporic and indigenous communities
For questions about local arrangements and book/vendor exhibits, please contact the Chair of the Local Arrangements Committee, Adrian Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration for the conference with pre-registration rates begins on February 18 and ends on April 30, 2019. For additional information, please see: conferences.lib.utexas.edu/salalm-lxiv/home.
Enlace Travel Awards
To learn more and apply, visit salalm.org/scholarships-and-awards/enlace/. Deadline is February 15, 2019.